Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Smorgasbord of Stuff

First completed project this week were two paper pieced stars for my Bee Inspired Stash bee queen, Emily.   I could have stopped at one but I love the looks of these had the desire to conquer this.  I'm still not great at it, but the percentage of matched seams is much higher this way than with just regular piecing.  I don't know if I would like making a whole quilt using this method though.


Next I put together a baby quilt? blanket?  for my nephew's daughter, Emma.  The front is all minky.  I know, I know, I swore I wasn't going to ever sew with minky again but that was because the minky I used that time was ultra plush and too thick.  THIS minky is the kind I have sewed with successfully in the past. Oh, this turned out so cuddly and soft!  It measures 51 inches wide by 50 inches tall.  Kind of an odd size and also a bit heavy for spring, but it will feel good to lay on!


I used wavy organic lines across the strips to quilt most of it but used a stippled pattern in the strips both above and below the appliqued Emma.

This is the first time I have appliqued any lettering.  I just freehand drew simple bubble letters that were all the rage when I was in high school (so this project is sorta retro, right?)  and then appliqued them on with a blanket stitch.  I need more practice at that.   At least I know it will stay on!

Then, I made my first block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC).    This month the color is yellow so you may be seeing a few more yellow blocks this month.  Here's the first one . . . not so thrilled with it.  Not enough contrast.

Here's what's on the design wall right now . . .

I may take another whack at that yellow star and make one I like better.  And you may be wondering why aren't I working on Ashley's quilt like I said I was going to?  Well, I finally got the backing but still waiting for the thread and the batting!  I am trying a new kind of batting and some new thread.  So I'll keep busy with making blocks here and there until they arrive

And now for my question of the week!  I have been intrigued by quite a few different projects I have seen online using the English Paper Piecing method.  Especially one that Liz over at Savor Every Stitch is working on.  Look at this!  

Isn't it AMAZING!??

 I would really like to try it.   I love the looks of it but I also know I'll never finish it if I don't enjoy the process.  Can anybody recommend a small beginner EPP project for me?  Maybe not even a whole quilt but just a mini quilt.  I am needing some hand sewing to keep with me when I am out and about and find myself stuck waiting somewhere.  I am looking forward to hearing what you might suggest!

Linking to:
Let's Bee Social
Midweek Makers
WIP's with Friends
Design Wall Monday
Cooking Up Quilts

18 comments:

  1. I love the yellow block exactly the way it is. Yellow doesn’t like to hide in a corner. It’s so bold and bright. So cool to see a minky quilt on line today because my Long-Arm-Lady was working on one on her machine when I went there yesterday. I had never seen one before. I definitely want to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice, you have so many pretty things in the works and a finished baby quilt too. I particularly like the tree print paired with the black and white. Your fabrics all coordinate so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the yellow block. It's OK to have a couple blocks in a bright quilt (like the RSC quilts) that isn't high contrast. But you have to like it, if you don't it will always bug you. If you wanted to try something small with the EPP, I'd plan something you want to make into a pillow cover or use as the center of a bigger quilt. Kat, who blogs at Rose Prarie Quilts and Farm is working on a Mosiac Diamond Quilt (https://roseprairiequilts.blogspot.com/2018/04/i-worked-some-on-wonky-log-cabin-blocks.html) One of those blocks would make a nice center for a medallion quilt or a pillow and would let you know if you like the process or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just start making hexies, and then you can discover what they turn into later! Kind of like having a Hexie Stash, lol. Your stars are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty and colorful eye candy here today Janice! The Emma quilt is too cute, and love the stars too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the bubble letter fad!!! Love your baby quilt and all of your stars, even the yellow one. It doesn’t have much contrast but it’s pretty in a different way. What about using the fabric paints or colored pencils that art quilters use to “enhance” the contrast in your block?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your yellow star, Janice! As for EPP, starting with hexies and/or basic flowers is a good place to at least figure out if you like it or hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Emma's quilt is so darling! I really like how the stippled stripe recedes and lets her name stripe really stand out. Those bee star blocks are really sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is so full of Quilty goodness, I don’t know where to begin! Emma’s quilt is so pretty! I can feel the soft, snuggliness right through cyberspace! I never do the rainbow quilt challenge, and then when I see all the beautiful blocks across blogland, I’m always sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that minky quilt looks so snuggley! And I like the yellow star. Use it in something else if you don't like it for the project you're working on. You can always dress it up here and there with some hand stitching in contrasting threads. You've been quite busy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm...your sister's favorite color is yellow...just sayin' (in case you need any ideas of what to do with the yellow star) :D You are so talented sis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm impressed that you made 2 stars for Emily! I'll be interested to see if you an improve on the yellow block and I'm also impressed that you're even considering taking on an EPP project. It's something that holds no appeal to me but I do have some small hexie papers that were given to me. I'll pass them on - when's your month? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma’s quilt looks so soft and cuddly—perfect, really for the kind of spring we’ve been having this year (at least in the Midwest). We just postponed a visit from my Grands for this weekend because of the misery that’s predicted over the weekend (ice and possible power outages). Luckily, the Lamb festival we were going to go to is going to be on for a few eeeks so we’re hoping the weather will clear. So anyway, milky and flannel sound really good to me. I don’t do EPP, but if I was going to, I’d start with comfortably sized hexie and try for a pillow top, mug rug or pin cushion—whichever fits with my stamina for the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Hoping you can interpret these autocorrected typos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your projects and your photoes. I can recommend to start with a little bread basket cloth. But it IS addicting, and you'll soon end up as me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your stars look great. Well done. Emma's quilt is beautiful. So glad you had better success with the minky this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YESS! on bubble letters! I was just drawing some on the weekend, and thinking how we'd do that all day long in high school, ha! Emma's quilt is just great! As are your RSC blocks..I'm okay with that one, it's a subtle surprise to find the centre star. I know I read somewhere people were talking about using more gold for contrast, so there's a thought. I LOVE seeing one of my house blocks on your design wall! Made my day :-) I made a small Christmas wreath of hexagons for my first (and only ha) EPP project. It' was a good intro, and I still hang it on the tree each year.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!